School Science Technician - Chemistry
Are you passionate about your specialist subject of science, particularly chemistry? Have you got experience working in a laboratory? If you have any work experience in an educational environment or working with children, then consider an application for the role of science technician in chemistry with Randstad Education!
We currently require a science technician specialising in chemistry for a temporary role at a secondary school in Crosby. This is a term-time only full-time role, working approximately 35 hours per week, starting as soon as possible. The role is until Christmas initially, and for the right person, could turn permanent as the temporary role is covering a current vacancy.
Our staff have a well-deserved reputation as being the best in Merseyside and as a reward for your hard work and commitment you will benefit from:
- An outstanding school and a supportive, progressive science department
- A dedicated, professional and friendly specialist 'School Support Services' consultant and a branch with 24 hour on-call facility
- Competitive rates of pay paid weekly, which are fully compliant under the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR, 2011)
- Commitment to your continuing professional development through free training including safeguarding
- 'Recommend a friend' bonus worth up to 300
- The flexibility to work when and where you want through our network of branches
- Being part of a highly respected supply team and developing your own reputation within it, especially through various rewards like 'Candidate of the Term'
You would need to be available to start immediately. This is a great opportunity to work as part of a committed team of technicians, providing a practical service to the staff and pupils of the school. Responsibilities would include:
- Ensuring all materials and equipment are ready for practical lessons and demonstrations in GCSE and A Level Science classes, mainly chemistry, liaising with teaching staff for lesson planning
- Cleaning, storing and accounting for all equipment and stock including chemicals
- Undertaking of safety checks and routine maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Ensuring any chemical and biological waste is disposed of correctly
- Maintaining filing systems and correct paperwork for stock orders and keeping the department tidy
- Keeping relevant health and safety knowledge up-to-date eg COSHH requirements
- Assisting teaching staff in the running of practical sessions for pupils, and undertaking other duties as directed
As the successful candidate you will have:
- A strong knowledge of science and a genuine interest in the subject, particularly chemistry; a degree qualification in any area of science or experience from a laboratory would be desirable
- Previous experience of working in a school laboratory, or work experience with children in another capacity (paid or voluntary), would be advantageous for referencing purposes
- A patient approach towards working with children and adults alike
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- A strong work ethic, the ability to work as part of a team of technicians, and a professional attitude
Randstad Education is the UK Market Leader for recruitment within education. We have been helping teachers and support staff to find temporary and permanent roles in schools, colleges and nurseries for nearly twenty years. Working with over 2500 schools each week, our staff support over 135,000 children every day across the country, so we can find the right match for your skills. The Liverpool branch is one of the oldest and busiest in the country and has a dedicated team of consultants working across primary, secondary and SEN. We also have a dedicated section looking after school support roles such as technicians, administration and finance.
We are proud to support a diverse portfolio of schools across Merseyside, so even if this job or location is not suitable, we would still like to hear from you regarding your relevant experience, as we may have other roles available in schools, temporary or permanent, short-or long-term, full or part-time, which may be a better match. All candidates will be subject to Randstad Education's child protection and UK eligibility checks. If you are suitable, an interview would be offered immediately and you could start working in the school soon after.
To discuss this in more detail, please contact Catherine Stockford, your specialist 'Support Services' consultant, via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the Liverpool branch of Randstad Education on 0151 255 1666.
| ||Save Job||Share Job|